Thursday, September 14, 2006

 

Tasty Food

After saying goodbye to Gunnar & Justin (who were heading down south to the beach, despite the fact there was alot of rain and little sun - just as well, as it has flooded bigtime as u can see from Gunnars blog! http://www.ballofdirt.com/entries/11109/181620.html), I spent the next 2 days hangin out with my tuktuk driver Joe, who became a bit of a friend. This may or may not have anything to do with the fact he enjoyed laying back in his tuktuk and smoking (very low quality) reefer, which I hadnt done all holiday). Anyway, he took me to a cool local restaurant (ie no foreigners) where the menu is written in proper Khmer (so u cant even read the numbers!! As they use weird characters for everything but 0). The highlight though were the street hawkers though - the restaurant seemed to have no problem with us buying various bits of food from em, so in no time we had a nice little pile of odd looking food.

Unfortunately, I didnt have my camera with me. But I can tell u, that in the space of 5 minutes, I tried

- Fried Ants (both flying and walking ones)
- Fried Spiders (big, fat juicy black ones!)
- Fried grasshopers (probably the tastiest of the 3)
- Fried teenyweeny shrimps, that are so small u have to eat em shell and all (and surprisingly, they didnt really taste any better than the grasshoppers)

The restaurant lady was so impressed, she even gave me some BBQd snake to nibble on.


The next day, we went down south, on a rather long journey (it probably wasnt that far, but his bike is an incredibly shit "Hongda" that requires him to pour water on the engine every 2 kay or so to keep it cool) to the Animal sanctuary (ie the Zoo).
On the way, we stopped off for a quick snack. I was kinda hoping for some hot noodles, but none of that was to be seen (we were out of the city and in the middle of nowhere it seemed). Instead, it appears that the locals like nibbling on dried frog and snake jerky, so thats what we did!



Yes folkes, thats Ge-Nu-Ine frog jerky there, sauce and all.

So did I give it a try?



And what was the verdict?


Bloody tasty as u can see!!!!
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?