Monday, September 18, 2006

 

Cambodian Zoo

So anywayz, after eating some dried frogs, we continued our journey to Phnom Tamao Zoo, 40km South of Phnom Penh. I wont type too much about the zoo, coz most of the info can be found at the following link.

http://www.leisurecambodia.com/Leisure_Cambodia/No.16/places_interest.html


However, I will say that this zoo was a very unique experience, and one of the coolest Zoos Ive ever been to.

Before we even got there, we had to turn onto this shitty little dirt road full of potholes. We could barely move on the tuktuk, so we had to ditch the tuktuk part (ie the trailer) and I got on the back of the bike (and the front! he let me drive for about 5 minutes. It was rather hairy, as the steering was totally shot, and the front break lever wasnt even connected...but I survived!).

We were greeted by about 30 monkeys upon arrival (behind a fence). So I bought a few bunches of bananas from a local entrepreneur, and within 2s, all 30 monkeys had pretty much jumped the fence and started attacking me. Well they would have, had I not thrown or dropped all the bananas in my surprise (it never occured to me that the fence meant nothing to a monkey, stupid me!).

We then entered the zoo proper, and had similar problems with some deer.

There were a couple of young (local) dudes as well, who kept following us and pretty much being our tour guides. They carried giant coconuts, and kept encouraging me to throw em over the fence to feed the animals...rather smart, coz they then charge u a small fortune for the pleasure. (you should see the bears rip into em though!).

The coolest part was probably the crocodiles (or are they alligators?). Unlike most places in Oz, there is only a single sire fence keeping em at bay. I waz lucky enough to have 1 right up against the fence, so I could literally have patted it if I had wanted. I was satisfied with taking closeup photos, and keeping a nice "safe" 15cm distance from it.

Other cool animals included wild boars, lots of monkeys and various monkey like creatures. One of em allows u to shake its hand, except its "partner" (ie its boyfriend, lover, husband, and all round protector) always tries to keep people away....so in the photo below, I was smacked in the head about 1/2 a second later!! Serves me right I spose.

(Pics coming soon)
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?